Oral cancer rates are increasing. Our patients receive a thorough examination when visiting our office for regular appointments. We recommend that you also do a monthly self-exam each month. This exam is to be performed using a bright light and a mirror.
- Look and feel inside the lips and the front of the gums
- Tilt head back to inspect and feel the roof of your mouth
- Pull the cheek out to see inside surfaces and the back of the gums
- Pull your tongue out using a cloth or gauze pad to look at all surfaces
- Feel for lumps or enlarge glands on the sides of your neck and jaw
Make note of any:
- White patches—leukoplakia
- Red patches—erythroplakia
- Red and white patches—erythroluekoplakia
- A sore that fails to heal and bleeds easily
- An abnormal lump or thickening of the tissues of the mouth
- Chronic sore throat or hoarseness
- Difficulty in chewing or swallowing
- A mass or lump in the neck
If any of these are noticed you need to call our office and we will see you evaluate your condition and offer treatment options. At St. Louis Hills Dental Group we are constantly looking for ways to make sure you have good health.